Popular Posts

Thursday, May 28, 2009

David Mamet "Romance"

I'd like to discuss this play if anyone else decides to go. It's very funny, no question about it. I laughed a lot. But then the play finished and - I didn't like it... Moreover, this "author doesn't take prisoners" bullshit now seems to me very unhealthy. And a minor but not the least important: author explicitly caves in when one character mentions Muslims. "No, - the other character replies, - you better shut up right now. It's not save to make jokes about them" And there are no jokes about Muslims. But about everything else - yes, plenty. I didn't like it, you know.

2 comments:

Luba Alperovich said...

Hello Iosif, we saw the play about a week ago. I had (past tense) warm feelings for Mamet himself and his wife Rebecca Pidgeon in particular and made sure that we went.
It was reasonably funny, we like the acting. The play itself is very, very mediocre, but pretension and not smart. Just not a good play. Come to think of it, you are right about the Muslim jokes, but it did not surprise me.

Luba Alperovich said...

I do not think that we will go to the rest of the Mamet plays this summer