Popular Posts

Tuesday, April 1, 2008

No country for old men - 2

[spoiler warning]

So, here comes the extended post. As a big fan of Cohen brothers, I do not think this is their best film. It has this Oscar quality of being a solid piece of work without being too exciting. "Not too exciting" is really the biggest problem of the film: the violence is not too violent; the suspense is lukewarm; and so on. May be that is what they call "understated", but I am not buying that.

The main character is the killer, who has already been identified here as an allegory for Death, Devil, Evil or some other such negative phenomenon. All the rest is in reference to him: some run from him, some are trying to catch him, others surrender without fight. The wise men like the sheriff just leave him alone. Being old the sheriff understands the futility of fighting Death, but he is the one that survives. Other old men also survive, like the one who called the coin, or the old mother-in-law... In this light the film's title is really ironic, because the younger characters all turn out dead.

Since the film is adapted from a serious book, it must carry a message. This is my other problem. True, after watching the film I will probably not pick a suitcase with 2 million dollars next time I find it in the dead man's lap. But on the second thought, I am sure I will. Only I will buy a flight ticket far, far away from the place I found it, buy a new suitcase and check all the notes for radiotransmitters. So in the bottom line, I did learn something new. And that is why I warmly recommend you this film.

2 comments:

Lena said...

Люди делятся на 3 группы,на тех, кто любят б. К.,кто их не любит и тех кто любит их фильмы типа "O Brother, Where Art Thou?"
Вчера мы посмотрели длинную версию Американского гангстера и поняли,что это главная проблема в жизни, брать или не брать сумку с миллионом.
В этом фильме, как и в жизни, герой не взял и, как следствие, победил главного бандита Нью Йорка,поставил его на честную дорогу и ещё посадил 150 полицейских

Masha said...

Maybe this is something known to most people, but I have just discovered it. I started reading Yeats, and found that the title is a line from his poem "Sailing to Byzantium".